Spirit Airlines Pet Policy
We at Spirit Airlines understand that a pet is not just an animal but a family member and a best friend for you. If you want to travel with your pets wherever you go, It has got you covered with exciting ways to travel with your furry partner under the Spirit Airlines pet policy. You can avail of the service on all domestic flights with Spirit along with American territories like Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands. One of the best things about Spirit is that you can travel with your pets in the cabin along with you. Some people think that they can just show up at an airport and pay an extra fee if they decide to bring their pet later. The thing is, it’s not always that easy.
Spirit’s policies for pets are very strict and may require you to change your travel plans in order to fly with your furry companion. Don’t be caught off guard—book your ticket with Spirit first, then check on their website or call them directly about bringing your pet along for the ride. It can save you a lot of time and frustration if things don’t go as planned. Spirit’s fee for bringing a large pet on a flight will likely cost more than some other airlines, but it’s subject to change.
Spirit will let you know how much space is left on your flight when you check in. If no space is available, Spirit won’t charge you a fee for your cat or dog. However, there have been reports of passengers paying fees without getting their animal onboard due to overbooking. The rules might seem unfair, but if you find that Spirit charges an excessive amount for its flights—which many passengers claim they do—take your business elsewhere.
Which Pets are Allowed in Spirit Airlines
- All kinds of domestic dogs are allowed on Spirit Airlines in domestic destinations.
- All kinds of domestic cats are allowed on Spirit Airlines cabins for both domestic destinations.
- Small domestic birds are allowed in all domestic flights but are not permitted on the United States Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
- You can travel with small domestic rabbits only in domestic locations.
Spirit Pet Policy : Ultimate Guide
We try to keep our Spirit pet policy as plain and simple as we can. There are certain rules and guidelines suggested by the transport authority that you have to follow to bring your pet into the cabin. These are:
- While Spirit Airlines does not ask for any health certificates related to your pets while traveling in a domestic location, you will have to keep it handy while you are on a flight to the United States Virgin Islands.
- Any bird that is not used as a domestic or household pet, such as farm birds, flightless birds, birds of prey, and some game birds, are not allowed to bring on Spirit Airlines flights.
- All exotic animals and pets such as snakes and spiders are allowed in the cabin or cargo in Spirit flights.
- A passenger is only allowed to carry one per container with them, but if your pet is small, you can take two pets in one container.
- We consider your pet as our friend, and we care for their comfort and safety. You will only be allowed to carry your pet if they can stand and move a bit inside the container.
- Your pet will have to stay inside the container for the complete duration of the flight. For example, if your flight duration is 3.5 hours, your pet will remain inside the pet carrier from the time of boarding till you get off and reach your destination airport.
- The minimum age of your pet should be more than eight months to be eligible to fly in Spirit Airlines.
- Your pet should not be harmful, noisy, offensive, or smelly, which can create discomfort for the other passengers in the flight. If your pet shows these actions before boarding, they will not be allowed to board in with you.
- All the passengers with pets can sit or choose their choice of seats at the time of check-in except the front row seats and seats near the emergency exits.
- The total weight of your pet and the carrier in which it is kept should not be more than 40 pounds or 18.14 kilograms.
Can I Keep My Pet in Spirit Airlines Cargo?
What are the Container Requirements and Guidelines for Pet Travel With Spirit Checkin?
There are multiple requirements for the container. These requirements and guidelines are set for the safety and comfort of your pet and other passengers on the plane. These are:
- The maximum dimension of the container should be more than 18 x 14 x 9 inches or 45.72 x 35.56 x 22.86 centimeters.
- You should be able to fit the container below the seat in front of you.
- The container should be soft, and your pet should be comfortable inside. Your pet’s head should be inside the container to avoid any accident.
- The container should be very well ventilated.
- Your pet should not come out and remain inside the container while you are onboard.
- The final weight of the container, including your pet(s), should not exceed 40 pounds or 18.14 kilograms.
- You can buy a flexible container or bag through any online store or a local pet store. Just keep in mind that the size of your bag should be as prescribed by Spirit Airlines.
How to Make Spirit Flights Reservation for My Pet
You cannot directly make a reservation for your pet, but you can get your pet’s booking with your own ticket that you booked with Spirit Airlines. There are multiple ways by which you can do so, and some of them are:
- By making a call through Spirit Air Phone Number
- By texting on 48763
- By sending a WhatsApp message on 855-728-3555 or 888-678-0392
The WhatsApp Service is available twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week so that you can add your pet any time of the day. Also, as per the guidelines, those passengers who are carrying pets with them have to check in at the Spirit counter at the airport.
What is the Pet Fee on Spirit Air?
The pet fee on Spirit Airlines is not fixed and depends on the route and the flying distance. On average, it will cost you between $100 to $150 per container. Only one container is allowed per person onboard and can carry a maximum of two pets in a container.
What are the Certificates Required for Pets to Fly in Spirit Flights?
Spirit Airlines never asks for any health certificates for your pets to travel in the cabin but if you are having a flight to the United States Virgin Islands, you need to carry a health certificate of your pet along with you. A rabies vaccine certificate is required for passengers traveling to Puerto Rico with your pets.
Are Emotional Support Animals Allowed on Spirit Airlines Flights?
As per the update on Spirit Airlines Policies, since January 11, 2021, all emotional support animals or ESAN will be treated as pet animals. For your furry friend to travel with you in the cabin, you must follow all the subsequent guidelines under Spirit Airlines Pet Policy. You also have to pay the pet fee required for pet travel with Spirit. The fee will be valid for a single trip only and has to be paid separately for every trip with the carrier.
Can I Travel to International Destinations with my Pet on Spirit Airline Booking?
No, you can not travel with your pets to international destinations with Spirit Airlines. You can only travel to all the United States domestic locations and the United States Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Please note that there are special guidelines when traveling with your dogs to Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I., which you strictly need to follow to take your pet to the Spirit cabin.
Can I get a Pet Booking done Instantly at the Airport?
No, pet booking is not allowed at the airport, but you have to follow all the security procedures related to your pet at the terminal. You have to inform Spirit Airlines in advance if you are planning to bring your dog or cat with you in the cabin. There is a limited number of slots available for pet travel in a plane. Once they are full, you will not be allowed to bring your pets with you. To be on the safe side, it is recommended to inform the airline at least a week prior to your departure date.